Friday, April 8, 2011

Memo & Magnet Board

My favorite place to shop is at my parent’s house.  They have lots of cool stuff there and the price is always right—free!  Well, its more like a currency-less exchange program: I borrow a table so I don’t have to put my sewing machine away and in return I agree that the Boy will help my dad move a cabinet at work.  Its great for my budget. 

Anyway so a while back we stopped by my parents’ house for one reason or another and my mom asked me if I wanted this frame:

DSCN2764

 

Apparently one of her brothers had given her this artwork a while back.  By a while back I mean she’s had them longer than I’ve been alive and they have never been hung up in the house.  Needless to say she didn’t need them anymore.  Being a good kid, I of course offered to take it off her hands.  Not that I needed it, but I am broke so I don’t turn down free stuff.  I figured I would find something to do with it at some point or if not, I would give it to charity like she was going to if I didn’t take it.

 

 

DSCN2765

 

So it sat in my closet for a while until one day I got bored and decided that I needed something to hang above my desk.  I didn’t really have a plan, so I dragged out a bunch of random supplies and started fiddling. I have this roll of metal that I got to do my wall of frames and I still have a lot left.  The frame had a piece of cardboard behind the artwork (which got recycled) so I decided on a memo/magnet board.  I got out some scrapbook paper to cover the cardboard for the memo side and cut the metal for the top magnet side.

 

 

DSCN2766 

Hey look, there it is.  So I cut my metal and stuck it back in the frame only to realize I had a small problem.

DSCN2769

Can you see it there?  The metal wouldn’t lie flat.  Ugh.  Don’t you hate it when things like that happen.  Luckily for you and I they invited a nifty little thing called glue, so I just stuck some along this edge and put a few of my text books to good use holding the metal down until it dried.

 

DSCN2876

Success!  It hangs above my desk so I have something fun to look at while I am studying.  I just use pushpins to stick things to the bottom and magnets on the top.  It won’t last forever, but given the amount of money I spend on it ($0), it doesn’t need to.

1 comment: