Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Frog Prince

Halloween is not my favorite holiday.  I’m not a huge fan of dressing up and I feel like Halloween costumes are over priced and way to skanky.  We’re trying to limit our spending because of the upcoming move, so we wanted to go cheap.  We found this picture and decided this would be our theme: the princess and the frog.

I figured I could do just about this for Alex, but mine would be a little more complicated.  I haven’t finished mine but once I got started on Alex’s, I couldn’t stop.  I now present to you my Frog Prince:

IMG_4345

We lucked out and found a green hoodie the first time we looked at Walmart.  I wanted to make sure that Alex could wear the hoodie after Halloween, so I wanted everything to be easily removable.  My original plan was just to use white fabric for the eyes and stuff them with plastic bags.  Then Alex asked me if I was going to make him googlie eyes and I responded that yes, yes I was.

IMG_4349

I got two .99 (they were on sale too, so they were even cheaper) clear plastic Christmas ornaments from Hobby Lobby.  I made a little pom pom (see Pinterest for instruction) and shoved it in the ornament.  Then I sewed them to the top of the hoodie.  Easy peasy.  Plus the ornaments already have the loop thing on the top so there is something to sew onto.

IMG_4350

Then I had to come up with a crown.  I was originally going to use a cereal box but it wasn’t rolling quite like I wanted.  Then I had a brilliant idea and got a big yogurt container out of the recycling bin.  I cut a crown shape out then sprayed it with adhesive and attached yellow fleece.   So easy.  The hardest part of the whole thing was sewing the yogurt container to the top of the hoodie.  Since the plastic is really thin it was totally doable, it just took a little muscle. 

I’ll be honest, I love the way it turned out.  We bought the hoodie (will be worn after Halloween), ornaments (I actually plan on reworking them and gifting them at Christmas) and the black yarn.  I can’t wait to show it off this weekend.  And I guess I’ll have to keep kissing him until he turns into a prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment